Monday, February 28, 2011

Loish


Lois van Baarle, or “Loish” as she is called online, is a Dutch woman who is a big name on devianART.com.  Her pieces usually make the first page (which, for those of you who don’t know deviantART, is a big deal).  Her style is very dynamic and usually quite brightly colored, though as she has improved she has been experimenting with less saturated colors and playing around with textures more in her works.



While her style is very distinct, Loish is also very adept at drawing realism, which is evident in her self-portraits.  Loish mostly works with digital media but she has enough techniques up her sleeve that add a traditional look to her artwork.  This is part of what draws me to her work, because I am definitely not advanced enough with Photoshop or any other program to make my work look half as interesting as hers does.  The color themes she uses in most of her works are also something I really like.



I have been a huge fan of Loish’s ever since I first joined deviantART.com.  It’s been an amazing experience to be able to witness her style change, grow, and improve over the years.  You can check her out here, on deviantART, or on her website.

5 comments:

  1. I like Loish's art. She has a way with color and texture that is all her own. Her pieces are usually pretty simple, but there is something whimsical about her work that is really charming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the pretty green color of the bird on the last picture. Also, the ribbons on the girl that also go through the scenery make the piece look somewhat surreal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find myself drawn to the middle piece the most and I think it's because of the underlying story. Right away I thought that she was running away from home, although it's quite difficult to really know how old she is. She's calmly listening to music while holding her pet fish. The blank stare on her face is quite intriguing as well as the overall perspective of the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like her style even though it's verging on the anime style. I really like her use of color and the dream like sense she gives to her art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I've been following her stuff for years too! Her style has really developed a lot. I love some of the more realistic portraits she's started doing more recently, but some of my favorites are still the images where she uses crazy texture in contrasting color to the colors of the figure. I agree with Olga, her colors and textures are really unique.

    ReplyDelete