Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Ramón Pérez

Kukuburi by Ramón Pérez

Ramón Pérez is an illustrator of many different styles. He's worked in all sorts of illustrative arenas, from comic books to editorial illustration, children's books to role-playing game books. He's currently working for Marvel Comics on a Captain America comic book. I was advised to take a look at his web comic Butter Nut Squash about a year ago by a friend, but it was his new web comic venture Kukuburi that really made me fall in love with his work. The crazy angles of perspective with which his panels draw you into the bizzar world he's created in the comic, elevate the tension of the story line, and make the images so exciting to look at. His use of color in this comic heightens the transitions between happy dream land and the nightmare realms created by the antagonist. I love his use of different type faces and even incomprehensible gibberish symbols to give each character their own distinct voice. The web comic is currently on hold while his busy paid illustration gigs take precedence and use up all his time, so if you happen to follow the link and start reading it, be prepared to wait a while for any sort of conclusion.


4 comments:

  1. THIS PIECE IS AWESOME!!!! This is one of those illustrations I want to hang in my room and look at all the time. Is is just so creative and interesting, with the wild perspective, colors, and animals. The line work is impressive and I like the flat, unrealistic coloring, I feel it goes well with the surreal images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colors are bright and LOUD, but this work is truly well done. The crazy composition, the awesome perspective, mixed with skilled drawing makes one great piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this piece because, just like the piece I posted, it uses a bold color palette. The perspective is fun just as the overall composition is. The use of animals that have no connection whatsoever also adds that humor that captured my attention as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! He's going to be at C2E2 this weekend! Yay! Now I'm definitely going.

    ReplyDelete