Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Sedova Elena


The title of this piece is called “More Love.” I liked this when I saw it because it is cute, but twisted without being gross and gory. The strain on the face of the bear seems to tell me that there is an effort to opening oneself up and giving more love, or more of yourself. I’m not sure what Sedova Elena used this piece for, but it definitely caught my attention. I liked the use of surrealism in illustration, because it helps bring an added twist to a piece. I cute simple childhood comfort toy becomes twisted into something more. I can see this being used for some sort of twisted Valentine’s Day card, or some whacked out kids game box cover. How would you play that game? Sedova Elena's web site is http://krolikov.net/

5 comments:

  1. ... This probably would not be the kind of game that you were thinking of, but there is a game for the iTouch that my sister plays on a regular basis. Its main character is a regular bear trying to escape being hugged to death by Care Bears by shooting at the Care Bears using an assortment of artillery. I saw this piece and immediately thought of that game - this would fit right in as a boss or something.

    This is great, and I like how it even uses those cutesy colors to complement its cute style. I'm kind of wondering why the big bear looks like he's "alive", but the little bears don't.. I wonder what the reason behind that is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can never go wrong when combining the cute and fluffy with the inexplicable and disturbing. I really like how everything is communicated solely through gesture and placement. While I probably would've relied on blood, placentas, and bulging eyeballs to get the horror across, the illustrator uses a familiar object and uses it unmodified. The tight rendering reminds me of medical illustrations, and the seriousness which that imparts adds so much more to the humor of the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great illustration! I find the strength in this piece is the excellent use of a pose to convey a very animated character. The large bear is leaping through the air with his chest thrust forward and that momentum is felt by the spilling teddy bears. His grimace completes the mood as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this one. I too am a fan of cute things with a dark undertone. I like how the "cutesy" colors are slightly off to set the mood. Using a teddy bear ripping its self open to demonstrat love is so crazy, it works. Tearing one's self open is a violent act and it's nice that the artist didn't use gore. I think it takes skill to know how to get the same idea across without using gore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this piece. It reminds me of a Nintendo 64 game called Conker's Bad Fur Day. One of the characters is a messed up teddy bar and he's pretty awesome. If you kill him or hurt him then his stuffing comes out. It's a very entertaining game. Anyway, I really like this because it reminds me of that and it's rather unique as well. It's very strange...I like it.

    ReplyDelete