Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Matt Groening


Anytime I see anything on tv or on print done by Matt Groening I can recognize right away. He is a cartoonist and his style is unmissable to my eye. I've seen his work all my life since I was a little child. But that maybe the reason why I recognize his style so much because I have seen it all my life and my eyes are pretty much trained to recognize it. His most popular cartoon The Simpsons is recognizable world wide. His style is very simple and I am amazed at how well it works in his drawings/cartoons. The main characters in The Simpsons are based off of his family. His parents Homer and Marge and his sisters Lisa and Maggie and he sees himself being bart but he did not name the character after himself because he didn't want to be so obvious. Bart is a anagram for brat. Matt Groening has been very successful with The Simpsons airing the first episode in 1989 and still producing work to today having 22 seasons and 477 episodes throughout 20+ years is amazing.

2 comments:

  1. The Simpsons has become a sitcom far, far removed from his original concept and style. Groening originally wanted to reveal that Marge had rabbit ears under her hair. If you want to read some great comics, read his "Life in Hell" books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes. The Simpsons. I have always been a fan of the illustrated style of this cartoon. The overall simplicity of the characters and of the world their in, in general, makes it an interesting visual.

    ReplyDelete