Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Week 3: Brittney Lee


First of all, I want to say that I am not entirely sure where this falls on the art-illustration spectrum, but I am thinking it leans more towards the illustration side. I came across Brittney's art completely accidentally while browsing through blogs, and immediately fell in love with her work. Though she does do the more standard 2-dimensional type of art as well, what really drew me in were the pieces made out of cut paper, like this homage to Disney's Little Mermaid, done on assignment for a charity auction. It's not a medium I usually think of when I think of illustration, or at least not used in this particular manner. I love the interaction of flat paper colors with the intricate details. The interplay of shadows caused by the "pop-up" design is a really nice touch as well. To me, Brittney's art was a breath of fresh air after looking through so many 2-dimensional pieces.

Brittney's blog, with much more of her cut paper work, can be found here.

6 comments:

  1. I really like this one for the same reason that it's done in cut paper. I would catagorize it as illustration too. The cut paper puts a new spin on the look of the Little Mermaid and quite frankly I like it a lot better than Disney's style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really impressive peice. You'd have to be very skilled with an exacto knife to get all of that little detail in. I love how Ariel's hair is so whispy. The details in the yellow part of her tail are also nice. What a cool picture to find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the craftsmanship of this is amazing and very interesting as well, ive seen other artist that do this type of stuff, but this is really awesome the way she pops the figures out of the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really cool. I recently stumbled upon artwork like this using money. It truly gives off a unique look and feel that cannot be done with just pencil/pen/colored pencil, etc. The depth in this piece in specific is really good too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The intricateness of the piece is my favorite quality. I have a lot of admiration for the artist's craftsmanship and patience. Her fine use of color enhances the depth of the piece. I was obsessed with The Little Mermaid as a kid, and it's always fun to see such a great interpretation of a Disney classic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I JUST read about her a few weeks ago. I watched a video about how she makes these paper characters, and later they were animated. I'm a big fan of retro Disney art, and she really creates a unique composition that has that retro feel.

    ReplyDelete