Thursday, February 17, 2011

Week 1 Blog Post


While randomly searching for images one day, I found this picture from the horror game Yume Nikki. And for whatever reason, I keep coming back to look at it. I like how scared and vulnerable the girl on the right, Monoko, looks-makes me feel like I want to protect her from whatever it is she’s crying about, like she’s a frightened puppy. I suppose her five arms are supposed to be scary and unsettling, but I find it rather mysterious. 

This picture changed what I thought I liked as an artist. I see tons of cute Anime pictures and have always gravitated towards that kind of tone in art. In what I draw, it’s always been cute characters, bright colors, large eyes; the whole shojo aesthetic-minus the thin lines, correct body proportions, and floral textures. But when I saw this picture, I found that I liked things that are just weird, a little confusing and perhaps a bit scary. The more I thought about it, the more I found I wanted to change my goal as an artist; instead of making cute comics like I originally envisioned, I want to make something strange, unique, perhaps create a style of my own that incorporates a little horror too.

No comments:

Post a Comment