Tuesday, February 8, 2011

ZimmmMMM!


First of all I have loved this show since it first came out. Filled with hilarious moments, characters and amazing art work. Jhonen Vasquez was the creater of this work, while I don't know exactly if he made this wallpaper, everyone in the work are his characters. What I love about this work is that it combines all these creepy, eerie, almost mad scientist colors (if that's even a phrase) and makes it into a detailed Illustration of the characters and there background. I love the really deep black outline of the characters. It makes it feel very cartoony (not as intense as his other work).

The well drawn out characters and there very convincing facial expressions shows that he can make a scene. The dark shadows, the perspective of the image, all come together to make an awesome Illustration. I think what gets me the most it the little robotic character Gir. He smilies and lookes silly, while the other characters are either serious or dumbfounded. What can I say, this Illustration captures the siliy, cartoony side of the show, while still maintaining Jhonen dark, somewhat sinister style.




6 comments:

  1. Yes, Zimmmm! This is still one of my top favorite cartoons. I was crushed when it got canceled. So I bought all of the dvds! ^_^ Anyway, one of many reasons I love this show is the art style. It's breaks all of the "rules" we learn in art school. Don't use black, never outline, etc. And here is J. Vasquez doing all of these things and comic book stores can't keep his stuff on the shelves. His art so bold and colorful and at the same time it's dark.
    When Invader Zim first came out there was no other show that looked like this. I loved it so much that I incorperated some of the characteristics of Vasquez's style in a few of my own drawings. I could go on and on about how much I love Vasquez's work and his characters, but I'll stop. :) Btw, Gir is the best thing since sliced bread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He totally has a special way of extruding and warping body parts to make a character unique. His lines are all crazy and disorganized with weird weights and angles. His style is defiantly unique although I think his comics show his style much better than Zim does, Zim is more computer then ink. Squee for example has all sorts of crazy lines used for shading and texture, where in Zim you don't really get that as much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Invader Zim but I loooooved his comic, Johny the Homicidal Maniac! All the comic page borders were jagged and squiggly, the figures so stylized. I like that Johnen Vasquez is one of those artists I can appreciate, but I don't really feel inspired by him or take elements of his style into my work. I just love that dude's wild character's and crazy art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jhonen Vasquez is one of my favorite artists and I am in love with Gir! His style his bold and relentless. His characters are intensely unique with great facial expressions and exaggerated body language. This illustration here shows his excellent use of black mixed with highly saturated color. Long live Gir and his tacos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just after I make my Jhonen V. post, I come to find another. Jhonen is my favorite artist and his style is so unique. I'm glad there are other people that finds his work awesome.

    ReplyDelete