Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Week 4 post - "Gender"


This is an illustration by Darion McCoy titled “Gender.” I guess what I like about this is the color scheme and that the subject is not immediately apparent. We see a young boy (but possibly a girl?) walking through the hallway at school, staring at his shadow cast on the lockers. But then you notice that his shadow has breasts and has more curves, and her arms are swinging from her sides rather than holding books. This is a very psychological illustration and I think that’s what drew me to it.
This artist’s style is very interesting to me. He frequently abstracts the human form, and fills the background with shapes you would not expect to find in that setting. The color scheme is very unnatural, it is mostly complimentary colors, but most notably, the boy’s shadow is lighter than its surroundings. The line quality varies between the crisp smooth outlines of the figure, and the wobbly, uneven lines of the background.

http://www.darionmccoy.com/illustration.html

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a really interesting work. I like the use of the washed-out complementary colors, as well as the duality of the two figures. Opposites seem to play an important role here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the subject matter of this illustration radiates very well with the style of the drawing. It's simple, but it definitely provokes thought about what it could mean.

    ReplyDelete