Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Jay Ryan


Jay Ryan is an illustrator/print maker who is actually based right here in Chicago. I found his work a long time ago when he made a poster for one of my favorite musicians, Andrew Bird. He creates a lot of unique posters for many popular bands like Modest Mouse, The Decemberists, My Morning Jacket, etc. He also has done work for festivals and film festivals. I love his playful style, and the color palettes he chooses always work perfectly. Jay almost always uses animals in his prints and illustrations, this is something that I really love. They are usually very cute, and very stylized. Sometimes they relate to the bands music or name, but sometimes are just completely random creatures. Jay's shop is located near Skokie, IL. I'm thinking about purchasing a print for myself very soon!

http://www.thebirdmachine.com/

4 comments:

  1. I do agree that Jay's animals are very cute. I think the the texture that is applied to the rams is very nice helping to create a repetition within all of the rams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how subtle the expressions are on their faces, but when you take a look it makes them seem all the more hilarious looking. Also their horns are pretty funny too, they look more like caterpillars than horns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sense of detail as well as flatness he creates. There is a very deep sense of space within such a flat composition. I had seen his work before on some blogs but I had no idea he was based in Chicago! Good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a fan this guys work as well. He seems to be popular in the indie scene, or whatever. His work does have a cuteness character to it.

    ReplyDelete