Tuesday, March 1, 2011





Dr. Seuss ( Theodor Seuss Geisel ) is/was and American writer and cartoonist best known for his children’s books. He has also written under the name Theo LeSieg and in one case Rosetta Stone. He published 44 children’s books, some of which have been made into movies. Most people don’t know that he worked as an illustrator for several advertising campaigns, and as a political cartoonist for a New York City Newspaper called the PM were he drew over 400 political cartoons, mostly supporting President Roosevelt’s handling of the war. While in the U.S. Army he worked on an animated film named “Design for Death” which won an Academy award in 1947. Also, Gerald McBoing-Boing, which was based on one of his original stories won an Academy Award for Animated Short Film in 1950. His birthday, February 29th or March 1st, has been adopted as the National Read Across America Day.

I think Dr. Seuss is not only one of the greatest Children’s book authors and illustrators. I don’t think he’s given much credit today even though his books are part of most if not all children’s every reading life.

5 comments:

  1. I knew that he had a ton of hidden messages, or deeper layers to his books. I even know that he has a day in the US dedicated to him but I was unaware of his political cartoons and films. Your right he does need more credit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. UGH!

    When the format of political cartooning finally goes the way of the dinosaurs, I shall NOT mourn its passing.

    I do kind of like the Taxidermist one, if only for the bear that looks like a cat.

    I didn't grow up with Dr. Seus, so I don't much care for his stuff. Still respect the man's mad skillz, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. His books are great. There is so much creativity behind every illustration he has. His children's books are so fun to read and his drawings are so fun to look at. I read his books all the time when I was younger. He is a great children's book author and illustrator. He has a unique style. He usually uses bolder colors in his illustrations which make it more childlike. I love his work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up on Dr. Seuss, but had no idea he did political cartoons! I find it extremely interesting to see his warped organic style of drawing combined with politics. Although these pieces are b&w, he has a precise use of cross-hatching which gives his cartoons more depth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had never seen Dr.Seuss' political cartoons before, but given the political undertones of many of his children's stories I'm really not surprised. I think that political cartoons are valuable in that they can extract the meaning from all the political data out there and express it in a faster and more accessible way than almost anything else can. The drawback of political cartoons is that they do reflect the opinions of the cartoonist or whoever pays him, but that can also be a good thing in media world dominated by at least the pretense of political correctness.

    ReplyDelete