Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Henry Warren week.8

This piece is called Just Ten More Minutes Mom by an artist who post on cghub.com under the surname of Contraomnes. I think this is a strange wonderful piece. I really like the weird contrast of innocence and danger. The picture was part of conceptart.org's Newborn Contest. The entry was about Newborn Imagination. Something that should resonate in most artists. Ahh splashing in the tub till the waters too cold, good times. Some of the odd things that happen and sorta work, as long as you don't think about too hard it, is the perspective and size relation of the for ground and back ground. I like the little oddities because they allow the focus to be brought to the center of the composition towards the child; especially with the triangular composition. But at the same time I am a little distracted because the variation in size and perspective ads another element in an already complex piece. The most interesting part of the composition for me, above all else, is the over lapping technique the artist employs with the imagined world and the real world. I really like the way the colors interact with each other and kind of blur the two worlds but at the same time I think my imaginary world might have a little more color to it: vibrant colors just say child's imagination but the muted colors I feel make the piece more attractive composition for a wider audience.

5 comments:

  1. I love this piece. I really enjoy how this piece is drawn, one of my favorite elements is that it holds a lot of realistic features. The octopus looks amazing, I love the way he is colored and shaded and placed. The way he is camouflaged with the shower curtain, and he just pops out all crazy and intertwined is very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this gets really confusing at first but i like it, i didnt notice until looking at it a second time that the toy octopus and shark are in the tub with the kid and in the same positions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the kid almost looks like he is in a pane of glass, because of how abruptly the tub ends and the surface of the water is so smooth, which I doubt would be true if he was splashing around having an awesome shark vs/ octopus battle in the tub. That aside, this piece is obviously rendered amazingly well, especially the octopus, I love those curves and wrinkles and tentacles. All the details or great, and this is a really nice conceptual piece that probably takes a lot of people back to their childhood and makes them feel related to it as they enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this piece, it just reminds me of being a kid always wanting to stay in my imagination rather than continue living in reality. But I must say the water in the tub is rather strange to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'm "watching" this person on deviantART; I love the imagination that comes through the piece and the muted colors...and the happy smiling shark :)

    ReplyDelete