Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tom Preston



Tom Preston is a traditional art illustrator. Even though it is a comic, it has no lines between the panels and no borders. This piece is cool because only the creative ideas and emotions are colored and everything else is black and white. I also like the use of hatching and cross-hatching for the shadows. Tom likes to draw things and emotions that he has experiences and try to make it repeatable to others. In this piece he takes the idea of an artists' creative ideas that he wants to put on a canvas from his head. The ideas are bright colors and cute fun things. However, it doesn't come out the way he wants it and becomes depressed. That is why he is crouched down at the end and a depressing blue gloom is over him.

4 comments:

  1. I find this one very intriguing, and home hitting. I think right away to when I felt this desire with my art. His illustration, stirs up emotion of both the passion of art and also the disheartening aspect of not being satisfied or messing up the work. His approach to drawing the piece is very whimsical, and cartoony. I love that, and limited color and then bold black and blue for shaded is an awesome touch. Very good illustration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's really comical about this to me is that the artist just makes one line before he sinks into the slump - and I've seen a lot of people give up this easily when it comes to art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is how I feel ALL THE TIME xD Okay well...hopefully not all the time, sometimes I make good art, but it really is a struggle to get there! I know a lot of artists struggle with doubt about their work and are always striving to be better, so sometimes the things we make that might in truth be amazing, just look like squiggles to us. This is simple and effective without being overdone or elaborate, true illustration, love it love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy Tom's work a lot. It's a shame that he always has a lot of issues with his work. I remember some years ago there was a large gallery of his work that he had taken offline because he was upset about it being stolen by some people online. He has a really simplistic, cartoony style that lends itself well to a lot of expressive pieces.

    ReplyDelete