Monday, March 7, 2011

Keith Haring



I really like Keith's style. Unfortunately he passed away in 1990 of AIDS. He has a childlike quality using simple form to and bright colors to express adult themes. He was even note-worthy enough to be photographed be Annie Leibovitz. In his short life he rose quickly in the art scene. Maybe he was like James Dean, burning bright only to burn out at a young age to be remembered as an Icon. I’ve seen his work all over and was reminded of him when I saw an ad using his art on the “L” on the way to work. It would be nice to make this much of an impacted with my art someday. I think his work is worth looking at and exploring. Check out more of his work at http://www.haring.com/

5 comments:

  1. I always wondered why these got so popular so quickly. But I have to say that if he was still alive he would be quite well off. Also these pieces seem to be timeless, being used all over the place even today 21 years after his death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also saw his art used in an ad on the way to school, for a marathon benefiting people with "intellectual disabilities" using the orange and yellow arm-over-shoulder figures. I really didn't get why they used it as a logo. was the over-childishness meant to emphasize the mental disabilities? Or maybe to express comradeship? Either way, I remember being really un-impressed, but I did notice it and I did remember it, as did you, so it's obvious that is was at the very least effectual and memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that our generation is one that will probably take Haring for granted, simply because we've grown up with his work around us (really, its everywhere! lol) And his aesthetic has been copied and reused by many artists since then.
    You are definitely right to call him an icon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I work in a frame store and someone brought in the Annie Leibovitz print not that long ago to have framed. I didn't really know who the artist was but when I saw the work posted here it immediately made me think of that print. His style is very distinctive. I feel like I have seen it on tons of t-shirts and greeting cards. It is the kind of style that immediately makes me think of the 80's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. his documentary is awesome, one of my favorites!!! his "Crack Down" painting will be forever burnt into my memory

    ReplyDelete