Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Ryan Mauskopf




The artist I chose for this week is another I stumbled upon using google images. I did some research and browsed his site and his online portfolio. His name is Ryan Mauskopf and he is an illustrator, graphic designer, and musician from New York City. His favorite gallery of mine is his illustration section. What first caught my eye is the diversity of his portfolio. He has several different styles that are each very strong. But as I looked closer, I discovered one thing all of his pieces had in common (well except the b&w ones), excellent execution of color and shading, in particular his mastery of reflective light/color. In the piece “Why Wizards Shouldn’t Cook” (the first image) Ryan uses reflective color of the smoke against the wizard. His reflective color gives excellent luminosity to his images and provides fantastic depth. Take note, that as the color of the smoke changes, the reflected light it cast on the wizard changes too. Although Ryan doesn’t list where these images have been used, my assumption would be for online articles or magazines. His “Gaga Bo Peep” and “Cronus and the Delicious Baby” are satirical images towards pop society and the upper class. I very well see these accompanying articles in today’s media. Last but not least, “Medusa and the Optometrist” is another fine example that his work is often humorous. I’ve given his website at the bottom; it’s really worth checking out!

http://www.ryanmauskopf.com/

4 comments:

  1. I like his use of light like you mentioned. That's something that I'm working on in my own art and it could be beneficial for me to study his work to see how he does it. I love the humor in each one of these pictures. Especially “Medusa and the Optometrist”.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting that this person is for New York because there is some thing indicatively European about the styling to me (mostly French). I can also see the musician coming out and expressed in his work:From the movement in the characters to the curve and direction of the figures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The color in all of these are amazing. I love how stylized everyone is is. Their proportions are very distorted and it is fantastic. I love looking at all of them. All of their facial expressions and gestures are so interesting. They are really fun and I enjoy looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I immediately thought of Lady Gaga when I saw "Gaga Bo Peep"! I'd say that illustration was very successful!

    ReplyDelete