Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Fight against Adult tyranny...The Kids Next Door

I am a big fan of animated series', especially those that have a cartoony feel. Though the creator of this cartoon was an animator, this image here still illustrates the main characters of the show. They characters were created by Tom Warborton, and what I like about the show and the characters are the design. They have very rounded shapes. Their faces, hands, body, and pretty much everything else is very round and soft. When I say soft, I mean they look like clean images, and since their is no appearance of rigid lines, or strong geometric shapes it gives them a look of softness. I love the slight bagginess of there close (the most in Number 4-orange hoody). Some of there bodies are either really skinny or thick, I like this variation between the characters (i.e. Green shirt to blue and brown pants characters).

I also really like the dark outline around the characters, again highlighting the cartoon feel. Also, note the almost rubbery, elongated ears, that to is an interesting and cool look as well. I also think the simple design of the clothes is cool as well. There is not such a importance of realize and that is one of the main factors of cartooning I like.

4 comments:

  1. KND nice, I to like round faces and the characters being outline by black. I think this is the same arts that did the 7up cartoon character in the late 80's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the best shows to watch when I was a kid. I too love that the characters were outlined with very basic round shapes. But by far I love their headquarters the best. The amount of things that can be shoved into a tree amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember watching this all the time. As you've mentioned, I also like how the designs are quite rounded and clean looking, adding to the 'fun' feeling you're supposed to get watching their adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This show was so creative and I feel like the characters reflect that. They all have their own distinct personalities and attribute that contribute to the show. Its the perfect children fantasy and I wish I lived in that tree house!

    ReplyDelete