Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Marek Okon

Strange and beautiful things fall out of the internet every now and again. For the life of me I couldn't remember where exactly I got this image from and it took some digging to find out the name of the artist - Marek Okon, a Polish illustrator and concept artist who worked as a freelancer for companies such as SEGA, BioWare, LucasArts, Games Workshop, CRYTEK, and many others.

This image is not a piece of concept art for a game (unfortunatelly), but rather a cover he did for a science fiction book published by Polish "Fabryka Slow". I don't read Polish, so I couldn't find out anything about the book itself, but honestly I don't really care - the picture itself tells enough of a story that I don't need any words to go with it. We may not know the fine details, but we know what kind of a world we are looking into, we know what happened to it, we can hazard a few informed guesses as to the nature of the people we see, what drives them, what their lives are like. Sure, I don't mind learning more, but I don't need to.

More of Pan Okon's excellent work can be found on his personal site (don't worry, it's in English) as well as on his Deviant Art page.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very emotional piece. The contrast between the kamikaze girl and the war and decay that surrounds her is very eye catching.

    ReplyDelete