Monday, March 14, 2011

Week 7: Untitled


I found this one while browsing an art folder and it immediately caught my eye. I'm not sure, but I believe the artist's name is Shinkiro. I do know that this piece was done for the videogame company Capcom (most likely for "Resident Evil") and the artist is one of the guys who worked on "King of Fighters". If you look at Shinkiro's work, his style is the closest that resembles this piece. There are several things that make me love this illustration. First of all, I was drawn to the photographic quality of it. It almost looks like it was a real picture that was edited in Photoshop to look like an illustration. Secondly, the imagery is fantastic. at first I noticed a pretty woman with a gun to her head. I was forced to go back and look hard to see why she was about to shoot herself and I noticed that she's surrounded by a horde of zombies. It's interesting that the color guides your eye though out the image which I think tells the narrative the way the artist meant it to be told. The expression on the woman's face really drives the point home. Her blank stare says that she's tried everything and she's giving up.

4 comments:

  1. I also think color is the key to this piece. The woman(alive at the moment) is depicted in warm tones. The zombies in the background are much more cooler tones with the the zombies in the far back almost monotone blue. I believe the contrast of the color palette reflects the contrast of the living and the dead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The texture the artist used really gives that dark edginess thats perfect for this piece. The grainy texture add drama to the picture and gives emotion to the whole thing, also with the help with the trouble facial gesture on the womens face amplifies that more. Overall this illustration is great, in terms of emotion and drama.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's something really beautiful about the way the space is handled with the color. Super-dramatic. Also the woman seems to look a lot like Lindsey Lohan. Since it was probably concept art for a game, I highly doubt there's any celeb-type comment here... but its still interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like Shinkiro's art style. The textures in the hair and clothes are amazing in your picture. The colors in all his pieces are bright are make the picture stand out.
    I have seen his art before in many Capcom games, more recently Marvel Vs Capcom 3.

    ReplyDelete