Sunday, March 6, 2011

Week 5 - Tetsuya Numora



Tetsuya Numora is a Japanese concept artist. He started doing small, illustrated advertisements, and has since progressed to being the concept artist behind the Final Fantasy video game franchise. He does not have many full rendered illustrations, but instead focuses on costume and character design. His coloring is very soft, perhaps digital or markers, but with a kind of translucency like watercolor. I really love every character he's designed, he uses a lot of detail on jewelry, accessories, and layering clothing. Very visually interesting. The costumes Numora has designed have inspired many fans to make real life re-creations, and his characters have inspired many artists to make fan art and inspired characters of their own. His creativity is obvious, as is his talent, and as a fan of many of his games and his coloring techniques, I thought he was a good choice to share with the class.

4 comments:

  1. I actually printed out some of Numora's work to put into my flipbook. I remember seeing his work when Final Fantasy 8 came out; I definitely attempted to emulate his style. I love how his character portraits are just simple busts, yet the characters are portrayed in such a detailed and creative way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I don't play the games, I always thought the outfits in Final Fantasy were cool. I like the gradated orange cloth flowing from the guy's belt in the first picture. It adds an extra layer of visual interest that wouldn't have been there had the artist just used a solid color. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I been a fan ever since I played Final Fantasy 8. I have the game guide and couldn't stop staring at the art in it while playing. Especially, Edea's portrait. Looking at it now I still stare at how he pieced together all of the horns and beads that make up her headdress. And I love the cape he designed for her. Numora has a great imagination when adding details to his costumes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These character designs really cut very distinctive silhouettes, which is important for a videogame character that you have to recognize from an overhead map or in a battle screen. I like all the textures, materials, and organic forms.

    ReplyDelete