Wednesday, October 6, 2010

hm, i didnt know J.C leyendecker was spelled GOD.




So, once again I've managed to remember my life outside of final fantasy online long enough to DO something productive in the real world.

I know what most of you are thinking for the 4 or 5 people who read these, “GOD not another super detailed realisticish style” yes, it is.. my stand has always been that personally I feel people have for the sake of “innovation” stopped actually LEARNING to draw in total favor of style...and conceptual imagination and all this bullshit.. which is just as stupid as only learning to draw picture perfect duplicates of life. I’ve always felt a healthy middle ground between technical supremacy and personal style was key and i think ol J.C got it perfect.

Not “perfect” in the literal sense as there is no right or wrong or perfect and imperfect, but perfect in the sense that for 1890 the concepts he was coming up with and what he was doing with human figure in space was incredible. His “painted illustrations” where the closest things I’ve seen to what were doing now with digital illustration (along with a few other art nouveau artist) Once mastered he had the total freedom to do anything he pleased with his knowledge of.....space around him as a whole. Some may feel he is a little too realistic in his compositions, BUT the undeniable fact is he spent the time to become a master of getting his technical skill so tight that if he wants to break or even discard all he’s learned to incorporate “style” he has the 100% freedom to, and to do it WELL.

I don’t know.
I’m going to go back to playing ff.. I have time before class

3 comments:

  1. Most definitely. I thoroughly appreciate a happy medium between realism and stylistic choices as well. One of the best ways to become a phenomenal artist is to study the real thing and perfect that in your mind before tampering with it. That's why figure drawing and such are massively important classes for us and will continue to be, even as the digital realm takes over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think these are super realistic. I think Leyendecker does well with creating interesting shapes and strong silhouettes. It looks realistic, yes, but so do impressionist's work. It's hard to tell without seeing it in person. Keep in mind that there were deadlines involved and shortcuts were taken. It's not rendered to death, but just enough to be believable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think either extreme of realism or stylistic choices are better than the other. In my opinion, the composition of a work and how the style works with the composition is the important parts of a work. Leyendecker does a kickass job using a style that works great with his compositions.

    ReplyDelete