Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Cereal Killers

I started off wanting to write about the illustration on the back of my box of Boo Berry, but after searching the internet for some time, while I did find some very nostalgic writing about Count Chocula and his cereal pals, I couldn’t find much more than the same wikipedia article regurgitated and rearranged. Finally, I came across a blog called Cereal Killers. Cereal Killers is a “koffin table” art book in the making, featuring horror themed cereal boxes. The illustrations I’ve chosen are Sugar PostMort-mmmms by Johnny Yanok, Jorge Lacera's Cthulhu Crunch, Behemoth Bites by Chris Lee, and Lubri-oh’s by Rick Dienzo Blanco. The book has a variety of different artists, but I think it’s the content that draws me to the images, regardless of their style. I couldn’t find any information on whether it was ever finished or not, the blog was last updated in 2008. With over seventy-five illustrators and animation artists responsible for shows like Ren & Stimpy, Venture Brothers, and Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends, it’d be a shame if it wasn’t.

5 comments:

  1. These are really awesome. I think my favorite of these are the Behemoth Bites because of the type and color palate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. again, a post i have no idea where it came from but ive seen these before... especially behemoth bites (which is my favorite btw)

    cthulhu crunch reminds me of this resurgence of actually decent cartoons.. specifically captain k'nuckles from The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack

    ReplyDelete
  3. i usually dont like halloween designs but these are cool. i like the color scheme of the one on the bottom left corner. im a fan especially of that light teal color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are pretty funny. Are they digital illustrations? Another cereal killer could be called frost bites (but I'm guessing someone already thought of that).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the styles that are shown here. These are some fun ideas and the execution is pretty flawless. I really hope that this book comes to fruition because I think a good deal of people would have it on their coffee table.

    ReplyDelete