Friday, October 21, 2011

Week 6 Scott Dikkers: Dikkers Cartoon Company

http://www.dikkers.com/player.php?xmlLoc=xml/bst01.xml&auto=true <- Watch Sometimes I just miss some of the heart and silliness of old cartoons like Silly Symphonies and other shorts from Disney. I was happy to find cartoons by Scott Dikkers that brings back to old fuzzy feelings.

Scott Dikkers is an American comedy writer, cartoonist, and filmmaker. Dikkers is the co-founder of the humor news paper The Onion. He left The Onion in 2008 to start the Dikkers Cartoon Company. One of the cartoons by his company that I watched was Bright Lights Little Steam, about a talented little iron who can do more than press a wrinkle out a shirt. Watching this short and others on the site was fun, but I worried that the stories may have been too familiar.

I don't think everything needs to explode or be over the top to be good. The stories were complete and concise. It's just I know the stories. It's not necessarily bad to be familiar with the themes like make it big in show biz. Using something non human did help to break up the generality of theme of seeking stardom, but it was slightly predictable.

Then I thought, although I know these stories and themes are they still effective? I laughed and felt empathy toward the characters...I even thought back to when I was younger and how much fun I had with these stories. So, predictability wasn't an issue so much anymore. The fact that I can still feel certain emotions from the stories makes the Dikkers cartoons worthwhile to watch. I think if you feel nothing toward anyone's work, then it's no good; it may be pretty, but useless. Even though the themes in the Dikkers Cartoons are familiar, they still have the power to tug on your heart strings.

*Watch the short in the link at the top

No comments:

Post a Comment