Wednesday, April 6, 2011


Whether you know him by name or not, Glen Keane is the creator of a lot of famous Disney character designs as well as a storyboarder. He's responsible for characters including, but not limited to, such as Pocahontas, Tarzan, Beast and has also worked on the more recently released Tangled film.

An instructor recently suggested that I check out Glen's work, as I'm more prone to work on a rough style, which is Glen's forte. While I tend to try and fight to create obsessively clean work, I'm trying to convince myself to just work with what I've got going for me. Glen is obviously excellent at what he does, however, much like with my own work, looking through his portfolio, nothing feels "finished."

Don't get me wrong, the guy is a fantastic character designer and storyboarder, but I'd really love to see his work past sketches or hasty looking watercolors. I guess I'm just too OCD to appreciate his work in the way that I should...

All in all, Glen is a master of the wide-eyed Disney look, which a lot of illustrators grew up trying to emulate. The silver lining with his sketchy work is that it makes what he does look so effortless and natural for him, which, quite frankly, has me completely envious.



No comments:

Post a Comment