Thursday, February 16, 2012

Week 4- Relationships

This is an Illustration by Tim Burton depicting Romeo and Juliet. I first came across this image when I went to see his retrospective at the LAMC. Romeo and Juliet is an universal story that everyone is familiar with. I love that he was able to use these characters and portray them in is own style. I have always been really attracted to Tim Burton's work because of his incredible sense of imagination and beautifully fluid line quality of his drawings. This one stood out to me at his retrospective because of the colors used. They are bold pastels which is uncommon among Burton's usual color palette as it tends to be high contrast black and white with pops of yellow or red for an iconic dramatic style that is easily recognized as Tim Burton. I love that they are both fantastic monsters that have the cities probably meant to represent their "two households both alike in dignity".

2 comments:

  1. I like Tim's depiction of water. Reminds me of Van Gogh's starry night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never really seen much of Burton's illustrations. But I find this pretty fascinating. I'll have to look into him more!

    ReplyDelete