Thursday, January 26, 2012

week 1 gary larson



As I tried to think about my favorite illustration, I realized that there was one artist in particular whose drawings influenced me in my early childhood. Gary Larson really captivated me with his creative narratives and hilarious drawings. To me, he was a genius at creating a story in just one panel. I can remember staying up late into the night past my bedtime looking at his book: The Far Side. I say looking because at the time I didn’t know how to read yet. So of course I didn’t fully understand all of Larson’s cartoons, but this didn’t matter to me. I would go from page to page scanning each comic, looking for the ones without any text. To this day, I feel like some of these wordless cartoons are Larson’s best. He creates an image that is strong enough to stand-alone without a caption. I strive to be this creative. You don’t need to speak English to get the comedy. No matter one’s age or language, anybody with a good sense of humor can appreciate these cartoons.

1 comment:

  1. This is great stuff! I remember reading Calvin & Hobbes obsessively when I was in elementary school. The comic strips offered a subtle social commentary that I wouldn't fully understand until I was older.

    http://www.jokelibrary.net/yyDrawings/facebook/fb0003-Calvin_and_Hobbs.jpg

    ReplyDelete